The Master degree in sustainable land management aims at establishing the concept of holistic management of agricultural production elements. In particular, the Master intends to improve institutional and individual capacities and reduce the existing Egyptian constraints linked to the lack of scientific knowledge and technical expertise able to cope with complex issues.
Sustainable land management combines technologies, policies and activities aimed at integrating socio-economic principles with environmental concerns so as to simultaneously:
· Maintain or enhance production/services (productivity);
· Reduce the level of production risk (stability);
· Protect the potential of natural resources and prevent degradation of soil and water quality (protection);
· Be economically viable (viability) and
· Be socially acceptable (acceptability).
The new Master aims at:
· providing graduates with the required knowledge and understanding of the scientific, policy and legislative frameworks as well as sound and holistic management skills for sustainable land management;
· providing the scientific basis for implementing the sustainable land resources management in a comprehensive and integrated ecosystem;
· educating the students on how to critically understand and evaluate the complex issues involved in sustainable land management;
· allowing students to deepen and focus on some selected national development issues such as food security and sustainable agriculture;
· responding to the requirements of the national and private companies needs of specialized and trained personnel who are able to implement sustainable land management and water resources strategies;
· allowing the graduates to focus on the analysis of the real resources problems, in addition to field work to enhance learning;
· adopting the multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary approaches to solve environmental problems locally and regionally, and develop realistic solutions through a comprehensive integrated outlook, which is based on a broad base of pure and applied sciences as well as agricultural and engineering sciences; and, social, legal and economic sciences scientific fields;
· confirming the importance of land resources management for Egypt and the Arab and African region that suffer from problems of land degradation and loss of cultivated areas due to desertification and urban sprawl and declining land productivity which complicates the issue of food security and hinders achievement of sustainable development;
· satisfying the needs of land resources sector by providing personnel and leaders capable of sound management of land resource;
· strenghtening capacity building and improving teaching methods so as to keep pace with national needs and international references;
· creating a network to support effective partnership and cooperation with various stakeholders both locally and internationally in the field of sustainable land resources management.